As a personal trainer and founder of Fitness Matters, Sam Blythe describes better than anyone some of the brilliant fitness benefits you can get from indoor rowing in Exeter.
One of the great plus-points is that indoor rowing gives you a full body work out without any impact on your joints, which means you can go for longer without too much fear of damaging your body. Workouts can be so varied depending on your individual goals and it is suitable for all shapes, sizes, ages and fitness levels.
I have always kept myself fit, strong and healthy, and rowing has been a part of my overall training programme, says Sam,
in the last few years it has had a bigger presence than before as my goals have become more specific to rowing. For example, recently I have won gold in the 2015 British, English and Welsh Indoor Rowing Championship. The other aspects of my fitness have definitely not suffered! Rowing is a great physique builder.
You can follow Sam's latest news and rowing progress in his blog here.
Evolution of the Concept 2
Benefits of indoor rowing
Indoor Rowing is a coordinated muscle action that involves every large muscle group in the body. Its main benefits:
- Rowing is a non-impact exercise so supports joint health and through wide range of motion.
- It is suitable for all sizes, all ages and all fitness levels.
- It improves cardiovascular health and core strength.
- It is effective for a short or long workout and can be a huge calorie burner.
- Provides an all-body work out, better than any other cardio machine.
- Can facilitate recovery from injury and cardiac rehabilitation.
- A rowing workout can provide stress relief.
- Simple technique and low risk of injury.
- Indoor machine so rowing is not weather dependant.
Why Concept 2?
- It is cheap to buy relative to other exercise equipment.
- No running costs.
- Virtually no maintenance
- No electricity required.
- Monitor easy and informative.
- Easy to store or transport.
Join our Concept2 Rowing Hub by Fitness Matters on Facebook – A virtual group for those interested in rowing in a friendly and competitive team. Plenty of advice and motivation on offer for all abilities. We also currently post a Workout of the Week (WOW – with prizes) to help all your rowing times improve.
Our Indoor Rowing Room
At our private gym in Exeter, we have this purpose built indoor-rowing room. If you want to join the indoor rowing community and want convenient 24 hour access, then get in touch.
Janurow is a nationwide organisation set-up in association with Fitness Matters to help raise money for children's charities.
Visit the Janurow website to take part throughout January: www.janurow.org